Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Eat Local Challenge, Day 1

Here's what's on the menu today:
  • Breakfast: Local yogurt and raspberries, mixed with a little nonlocal cereal
  • Lunch: Cheese sandwich -- bread, cheese and butter all local -- with farmers market cherry tomatoes and an apple from Thorn Crest Farm's stand at the farmers market
  • Dinner: Zucchini-cheese bake with farmers market zucchini and local mozarella; sliced farmers market tomatoes
I'm also soaking some black beans I bought recently recently at the farmers market for use later this week. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat. I'll probably buy locally raised meat once a week or so from the co-op. All my dairy and eggs, which are my major protein sources, have been local for the past month. Actually, this is an area where buying from the supermarket in this part of the country probably gets you fairly local products, even if not specifically marked "local." Kemps brand is based in St. Paul, for example, and Crystal Farms is based in Lake Mills, Wisconsin.

No comments: