Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Goslings and Goslings and Ducks, Oh My


Click on this photo to see in much greater detail the Cannon River scene tonight: two Canada goose families of noticeably different stages of maturation, and a bunch of male mallards having a bachelor party while "the mrs." is back watching the ducklings in some suitable location. Note the differences in the coloration of the tail feathers of the various goslings. Even within a family some are more developed than others.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mary S. said...

Nice shot. I thought of you the other day, while driving to the compost heap, when a mama deer and two really little fawns crossed the road. Luckily, it was day time and I saw them in plenty of time to stop.

Unknown said...

I would have loved to see that, Mary.

Follow-up to my post about the photo: all the little specks on the water are cottonwood seed tufts. After a few quiet days during our recent cold spell, they have been quite active again yesterday and today. They have been drifting along the sides of my driveway at home and decorating the roof of my car.